Texas A&M University-Texarkana
Parking and Traffic Regulations
The purpose of these regulations is to ensure the safe and orderly flow of vehicular traffic and to provide information as to parking procedures on campus. Pursuant to the authority granted by the Texas Education Code, Subchapter "E" paragraph 51.201 - 51.211, A&M-Texarkana has established regulations and procedures applicable to anyone who walks, drives and/or parks a vehicle on either the Main Campus at Bringle Lake or the South Campus on Robison Rd.
II. General Provisions
The operation of any vehicle on either A&M-Texarkana campus is a privilege granted by the University and not an inherent right of any faculty/staff member or student. Each vehicle operator is responsible for knowing and following the laws and regulations in force. All faculty/staff and students who park on the University campus must purchase a parking permit from the University Police Dept, (UPD). Purchase of a parking permit does not guarantee a parking place on campus. The University is not responsible for fire, theft, damage to, or loss of any vehicle and/or its contents while parked or operated on University property.
All traffic laws and parking regulations at the Bringle Lake campus will be enforced by the A&M-Texarkana Police Department, (UPD).
All traffic laws and parking regulations at the Robison Road campus will be enforced by Texarkana College Police or A&M Texarkana Police.
IV. General Traffic Regulations
A. The speed limit on the Texarkana College campus is 15 MPH and the speed limit on A&M-Texarkana parking lots is 10 MPH.
B. The speed limit on the A&M-Texarkana Bringle Lake campus is 25 MPH unless otherwise posted and the parking lot speed is 10 MPH.
C. Parking and traffic regulations are enforced 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
D. Parking spaces for the physically handicapped are reserved 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.
E. Pedestrians shall have the right of way at designated marked pedestrian crosswalks. Pedestrians not crossing at designated crosswalks shall yield to vehicles.
F. All persons driving a vehicle on A&M-Texarkana property shall have a valid driver’s license.
G. All vehicles driven on A&M-Texarkana property must have a valid, properly displayed state license plate and safety inspection sticker, (if required by licensing state) as well as proof of liability insurance for their vehicle as required by state law.
H. The parking of any private vehicle on either A&M-Texarkana campus for the purpose of storage, repair or habitation (unless permission is secured from the UPD) is prohibited and is cause for removal and impoundment of that vehicle. The owner of any such impounded vehicle will be liable for the cost of moving, towing and storing. The University will not be liable for any costs or damages resulting from such removal and impoundment of such vehicle.
V. Parking Permits
1. All A&M-Texarkana employees and students that park a vehicle on A&M-Texarkana or Texarkana College property must have a current parking sticker. A&M-Texarkana parking stickers can be purchased at the UPD in the Central Plant Building. Parking fees and fees for additional vehicles will be pro-rated as follows:
Fall though Summer $25.00
Spring through Summer $20.00
Summer only $12.00
Second vehicle permit $ 5.00
Replacement permit $ 5.00
2. Adhesive Parking Permits must be completely stuck (not taped) to the outside of the lower driver’s side area of the back window. Permits on motorcycles can be put on the back of the motorcycle license plate so as to not affect the bike’s paint.
3. No refunds will be given for parking stickers with the exception being when a student withdraws from the University before classes start and the parking sticker was never adhered to the student’s vehicle. The intact sticker must be returned to the Business Office before a refund can be made.
B. Parking Areas
1. A&M-Texarkana employees and students with a current A&M-Texarkana parking permit, may park in authorized parking spaces at the Main Campus and the South Campus, as well as in all Texarkana College parking spaces; excluding the Bringle Lake Village (BLV) dorm parking lots. The BVLV dorm parking lots are reserved for BLV dorm residents/staff with BLV designated parking stickers. Staff, faculty and students with a regular parking sticker are not allowed to park in the BLV dorm parking lots and will be ticketed if they do so.
2. Texarkana College students can park at either A&M-Texarkana campus with a valid Texarkana College parking permit. Purchasing an A&M-Texarkana parking permit does not guarantee a parking space. LACK OF A PARKING SPACE IS NOT A VALID EXCUSE FOR PARKING ANYWHERE OTHER THAN AN AUTHORIZED, DESIGNATED PARKING SPACE.
C. Lost or Stolen Permits
1. Theft or loss of a parking permit must be reported to the University Police Department as soon as possible. A $5.00 fee will be charged for all lost/stolen permits.
2. Parking privileges shall be suspended for one calendar year for any individual who displays a lost or stolen permit. In the case of a stolen permit, criminal charges may be filed and the permit will be confiscated.
3. The University Police Department may impound any vehicle that displays a lost or stolen permit.
D. Temporary Parking Permits
1. Any staff, faculty or student that has a vehicle with a valid permit and for some reason has to drive a non-permitted vehicle on campus may go to the University Police Department to receive a Temporary hang tag, valid for five (5) business days. A maximum of three (3) Temporary permits can be issued during any single semester.
2. Visitors should go to the University Receptionist station on the first floor of the Aikin Building on the South Campus and to the University Police Department in the Central Plant Building at the Bringle Lake campus for Temporary Permits.
VI. Driving and Parking Violation Charges
1. All parking fines must be paid within ten (10) business days of the date of the
citation at the Texas A&M University-Texarkana Police Department.
Texas A&M University-Texarkana Police Department
Central Plant Building
7101 University Ave.
Telephone: (903)-334-6611 or (903) 223-3114
2. Payment shall be made in U.S. currency. (Cash & checks) Unrolled coins will not be accepted for payment.
3. Any parking fine not paid within ten (10) business days automatically increases 50%.
4. The enforcement fees for violation of these regulations constitute an indebtedness to A&M-Texarkana. In the event that an individual fails to pay such fees, A&M- Texarkana will take any or all of the following actions:
a. Suspend the privilege of driving or parking on campus.
b. Block future enrollment to A&M-Texarkana.
c. Hold official transcripts.
d. Take disciplinary action against employees.
5. Anyone wishing to appeal a parking citation must do so, in writing, at the University Police Department within seven (7) calendar days of the date of the citation. [See Citation Appeals Procedure for complete information about the appeals process.]
6. Partial list of violations and fine amounts:
a. Parking without a valid permit - $10.00
b. Improper Permit Display - $10.00
c. Parking in a Reserved Space - $10.00
d. Parking in non-designated parking area – $10.00
e. Parking in Fire Lane
(areas marked by red line on curb) - $50.00
f. Parked in Handicap space without
a valid handicap permit - $75.00
g. All other parking citations - $10.00
h. All minor moving violations on
campus - $25.00
7. The person who purchased the A&M-Texarkana permit is ultimately responsible for the payment of any citation the vehicle receives, regardless of who was driving the vehicle. Texas citations and will be handled in Texarkana, Texas Municipal Court.
The term “Impoundment” includes the removal, towing and storage of the vehicle in question. All Impoundment fees
are the responsibility of the registered owner of the vehicle if no permit is on the vehicle. The A&M-Texarkana Police
Department is authorized to impound unattended vehicles on either A&M-Texarkana campus under the following
1. Having three (3) or more outstanding, unanswered, or unpaid citations.
2. Displaying a lost, stolen or unauthorized parking permit.
3. Unauthorized vehicle parked in a reserved space.
4. Parking in a “ Fire Lane” which is designated by red lines or red curb.
5. Illegally parked in a “Handicapped” area or space.
6. Parked in areas where barricades, cones or traffic control devices have been ignored.
7. Parked on lawns, sidewalks or any other area that restricts vehicular traffic.
8. Parking on campus after privilege to do so has been suspended.
9. Blocking access to any building, loading zone, reserved or barricaded area.
10. Any vehicle obviously abandoned on A&M-Texarkana property.
11. Any other circumstance not expressly enumerated where public safety is threatened by the presence of the
VII. Appeals Procedure
A&M-Texarkana has established a Parking and Traffic Appeals Committee for University citations. The committee has the duty of hearing parking ticket appeals from any person who feels that they were wrongfully ticketed. Anyone who receives an A&M-Texarkana citation may appeal the citation to the campus Parking and Traffic Appeals Committee within seven (7) business days of receiving the citation. The fine will be put on hold until the appeal process is complete. Persons making an appeal should follow the below procedures:
A. University citation appeal forms are available in the University Police Department or on-line, at the A&M Texarkana web site under the Parking Regulation section. The form shall be filled out completely and signed by the person making the appeal.
B. The committee will be notified of the appeal and a date will be set for a hearing.
C. If the appeal is decided against the complainant, the complainant must then pay the assessed fine within seven (7) business days of the date of the hearing.
D. The Parking and Traffic Appeals Committee will consist of the following A&M Texarkana employees and one student :
· Chief of Police
· Student Services staff member
· Faculty member
· General staff member
· Student Affairs Council member
Texas A&M University-Texarkana
Parking/Traffic Citation Appeal
Citation Number __________________________
I wish to appeal the traffic/parking citation, as numbered above.
The reason for my appeal is as follows:
Address______________________________________ Phone #_________________________
Student ID Number____________________________
Vehicle License plate number____________________ State_____________
Location of violation______________________________________________
Date of violation_______________________________
Have you previously received a citation at A&M Texarkana? _____________________
If yes, how many?_____________________________
You will be notified by e-mail as to the date of the appeal hearing. If you do not list an e-mail address, you will be contacted by phone.