The Advising Center oversees the advisement of all students who have not completed their core requirements. Our academic advisors assist students with adjustment to college life, monitor student’s academic progress as needed, and assist students with course selection and scheduling.
A&M-Texarknana Mission Statement:
At Texas A&M University-Texarkana, academic advising promotes student learning and success through intentional academic advising and student-centered support. Based on a developmental framework and guided by an emphasis on mutual responsibility, this process facilitates students in achieving their education and career goals.
- Fosters an environment based on mutual responsibility between student and advisor
- Services as a developmental process
- Discusses and clarifies educational and career goals
- Advises on the selection of appropriate courses towards degree completion
- Evaluates and monitors student academic progress
- Is based on theories and knowledge of teaching, learning, and identity development
- Reinforces student self-direction and self-sufficiency
- Assist students in understanding university policies and procedures and campus resources to ensure their success at A&M-Texarkana and in so doing, connecting to the university.
- Formulate a plan to select appropriate courses each semester using the selected degree plan for students' intended major.
- Guide students toward self-sufficiency by teaching them to schedule time to meet with the advisor, prepare for their individual advising appointment, and select their courses for each semester.
You can expect your advisor to:
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, graduation requirements, and university and college policies and procedures.
- Encourage and support students as they gain the skills necessary for developing clear and attainable educational plans.
- Provide students with information about and strategies for utilizing the available resources and services on campus: Success Center, Testing Center, Library etc.
- Assist students in understanding the purposes and goals of higher education and its effects on their lives and personal goals.
- Monitor and accurately document students’ progress toward meeting their goals.
- Be accessible for meeting with students via office hours for advising, telephone, e-mail, or web access.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assist students in working closely with their professors to discuss how they are doing in their classroom academically.
Effective academic advising of students is an essential aspect of the educational experience at A&M-Texarkana. The advising process is designed to assist students in making responsible academic and career choices; setting and fulfilling their educational goals; growing intellectually and emotionally; and increasing their critical thinking and decision-making.