Intensive English Program (IEP)
The mission of the Texas A&M University-Texarkana Intensive English Program (IEP) is aligned with the university’s mission, which is to provide "students the opportunity to acquire the know ledge, abilities, and skills to become leaders in their chosen profession and to prepare for the opportunities of serving in a global environment." A&M Texarkana IEP seeks to provide global, international experiences for A&M -Texarkana students and faculty as reflected in its mission. For international students and scholars, the program seeks to offer academically challenging, engaging, and rewarding educational experiences by offering quality English as a Second Language(ESL) teaching and student support services. Through personal attention, our IEP administration and faculty strive to assist participant students in developing linguistic, academic, and professional skills, which will aid in their acquisition of the cultural adaptation skills necessary to function and succeed in a global society in which English is the primary language of communication.
The Intensive English Program (IEP) prepares international students for success in academic programs or professional careers by offering academically challenging, engaging, and rewarding educational experiences and student support services. It offers opportunities for study in small group environment with access to all campus resources. The program focuses on developing the English language domains necessary for effective written and oral communication and critical reading and listening. It also targets the mastery of study and research skills, as well as proficient intercultural communication, required for optimal second language development.
- Length of Study: 8 week-terms during the summer, fall (2 terms) and spring (2 terms) and 16 week-terms in the fall and in the spring semester.
- Proficiency levels: Beginning to advanced levels focusing on developing fundamental English skills and college preparatory targeting the development of English language skills required for admission to regular degree programs. Students are placed into levels based on their placement test scores.
- Small classes with highly qualified faculty provide instruction 20 hours per week, Monday to Friday, tutoring, and personalized academic support.
- Core courses: Reading and Vocabulary, Grammar and Writing, Communications. Courses are offered in three blocks as follows:
- 8:00am-9:15am Reading and Vocabulary
- 9:30am-10:45am Grammar and Writing
- 11:00am-12:15pm Communications
- College preparatory courses: Academic Reading, Academic Writing and Advanced Grammar, Research Skills and Research Paper Writing.
- Individual tutoring and language lab activities in the afternoons.
- 24-hour access to language software and laboratory activities in the afternoon.
- Access to all university facilities and academic and student support services (wireless internet and computers, gym and recreational sports, library, clubs, campus and dorm amenities and recreation).
- Welcome reception and student participation in cultural and recreational activities, one weekend trip (Dallas or Shreveport), and participation in the host family program.
- Life on campus at Bringle Lake Village to allow students the opportunity to experience college life and participation in the host family program to offer them an opportunity to experience American family life
For more information, see the IEP brochure
Ask a question about the Intensive English Program
Thank you for your interest in the A&M Texarkana Intensive English Program. Please enter your question in the form below. We will respond to you by email within 3-5 business days.
Contact the IEP at: