The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (UCC) serves as an advisory and recommending body reporting directly to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs. The role of the UCC shall be that of an oversight committee on matters of academic curriculum substance. Examples of such oversight would include curriculum matters affecting other departments or Colleges in such areas as duplication, resources, students, and finances
The following are examples of matters that the UCC would review and make recommendations on:
- ·substantial changes in courses
- ·new courses
- ·delivery of courses
- ·new degrees
- ·university/major core courses
- ·admission requirements
- ·graduation requirements
- ·academic rules/procedures
- ·awarding of credit
- ·quality of academic curriculum
All of these should have been reviewed and approved by the appropriate person(s) and department prior to review by the UCC. The primary responsibility for the academic curriculum rests with the faculty and their respective departments.
Academic curriculum items for UCC consideration can be initiated from a wide variety of sources including students, faculty, departments, Deans, VPAA, the President, or the Committee itself
MEMBERSHIP, TERMS OF OFFICE & ELECTIONS:
- The UCC shall consist of six members.
- Members shall serve two years, with the exception being the past president, who will serve a third year.
- To serve as a member, the faculty would have had at least one year’s service to the University.
- Each department (Arts & Sciences, Business Administration, Education, Nursing and Behavioral Sciences) will elect a faculty representation every two years. The Faculty Senate will appoint the sixth member.
- A new Chair shall be elected every year.
- The Chair will be determined by vote of the elected members.
- Ex-officio members consist of the Provost and VPAA, Director of Institutional Effectiveness, the Registrar, and a representative of Academic Services.
- Terms of office run from August to July; Elections and nominations are to be completed in April.
- A quorum shall consist of at least three members.
- A motion needs a minimum of three to carry.
- Proxy votes are not allowed.
- The Chair only votes to break a tie.
- The UCC will meet once a month from September through May or as needed.
- The Chair shall issue a call for agenda items 10 days prior to the meeting.
- The Chair shall distribute an agenda three days before the meeting.
- The Chair shall post the approved minutes of the meetings on the University Web Site.
- Clerical support shall be provided by the office of the college the UCC chair belongs to.