Curriculum Committee Minutes
September 10, 2003
Called to Order: 2:36pm
Members: G. Parangimalil, Chair; C. McAllister, D. Allard, B. Owen, J. Hamilton
1. J. Hamilton moved, second by D. Allard to approve May 1, 2003 minutes with amendment to Item #6. Motion passed. Item #6, as noted by P. Black, was changed to read: Motion by G. Parangimalil to accept the change in “core” Gen Ed. requirements for BS degree in Psychology which is to change from Eng. 333, Psy. 320 to Eng. 340, and 3SH from COMM 350 or IS 495.
D. Allard motioned to pass this requirement contingent on increasing the Psy electives from 6 to 9 SH, second by G. Parangimalil. Motion passed.
2. Motion by D. Allard, second by J. Hamilton to add ED 491- Capstone in English Studies to degree program. Motion passed.
3-5. Items #3 - #5 - ED 588-Practicum in Elementary School (Rodriquez); RDG 501-Fundamentals of Reading Instruction (Nutter); ED 508-Introduction to Teaching (Evans), were tabled due to omission of syllabi.
Motion by C. McAllister, second by J. Hamilton that no item will be placed on the agenda if said item is incomplete. Motion passed.
6. Motion by D. Allard, second by C. McAllister to approve SPED 542 Methods for Exceptional Learners contingent upon receiving syllabus. Syllabus copied and distributed during meeting. Motion passed.
7. Motion by D. Allard, second by C. McAllister to approve SPED 540 Intro to Exceptionalities contingent upon receiving syllabus. Syllabus copied and distributed during meeting. Motion passed.
8. Analysis of Qualitative Comments from Spring 2003 web courses – Dick Roach. Distance Ed guidelines can be found at www.thecb.state.tx.us. D. Roach suggested putting distance ed syllabus with packets of web courses on WebCT so students can check what’s being offered before registering for a web course. A. Godfrey will compile a list of key items that will improve the quality of WebCT courses and will discuss those items at the next CC meeting.
9. Next meeting: October 8, 2003, 2:30pm, Room 227N.
Charlotte E. Maxwell