Graduate Student FAQs

The Office of Graduate Studies is dedicated to the overall success of our Graduate Students at Texas A&M University-Texarkana. As you begin and continue your journey as a Graduate Student you may find that you have questions and we are here to assist. In our FAQ's, we have questions and answers regarding Prospective, Current, and International Student needs. If a question you have is not answered here, please contact us at and we will gladly assist.

Newly Admitted and Current Graduate Students FAQ

I have been accepted for admission. What are the next steps?
Congratulations on your admission to the Graduate School at A&M-Texarkana. Your next step is to make your schedule and register for classes. You may consult with your Graduate Program, Administrative Coordinator to determine the classes to start with for your first semester.
Will there be an orientation held for new students?
Yes, and we encourage you to participate. The Graduate School hosts a Graduate School Orientation/Mixer during the fall and spring semester. We invite new and current graduate students to meet fellow students, faculty, and learn more about the opportunities offered by the Graduate School at A&M-Texarkana.

A mandatory orientation for international students is held each fall and spring term through the Office of International Studies.
How do I find out who my adviser is?
Your program advisor will be the program coordinator of your specific graduate program. Please consult with your Graduate Program, Administrative Coordinator if you need assistance.
How do I register for classes?
Registration is completed through your Web for Students account. Your login information will be on your acceptance letter. To register for classes, you will log into your Web for Students account, select the student tab, click registration, add or drop classes, select your term, and then you’ll be able to add your classes to your cart. Remember to select “submit changes” for your registration to submitted.
Now that I am registered for classes, how will I be billed?
You may view your tuition and fees billed for each semester in your Web for Students account. Log into your Web for Students account and select “Touchnet Payment Gateway.” You may pay your balance here. Payment plans are also available. If you have any questions regarding your billed amount, please contact the Business Office at
How do I obtain my textbooks?
You may purchase your textbooks at the Eagle Central Bookstore on campus or you may purchase them online. You may view the textbooks required for your classes within your Web for Students account. Log into your Web for Students account and select “Purchase Textbooks.”
Can I change my major once I've been admitted but not enrolled in classes?
Yes, once admitted to graduate school but not enrolled in classes, you may change your major by emailing your Graduate Program, Administrative Coordinator and request a change of major. Your original application, with the update in your change of major, will then be sent to the program you would like switch to.
However, to change degree plans, you must meet the admission standards of the new degree to change your major.

International students must check with the International Student Services Office to maintain legal status.
I am currently a graduate student, with completed graduate classes, in another department at Texas A&M University-Texarkana and would like to change my major.  What must I do?

  • In order to change programs, the student must submit a “Change of Degree Declaration” to the Office of the Registrar. The student must complete the form and obtain signatures of approval from their advisor and college dean.
  • Students may need to re-apply for admission to the new program according to current program admission criteria. The appropriate college determines this requirement, and the student should discuss this requirement with program faculty and the college dean prior to submitting the “Change of Degree Declaration.”
  • Students should contact the Office of Graduate Studies and Research if they need assistance.

Can undergraduate classes count for graduate credit?
The need for flexibility in program offerings to meet the highly varied requirements of students justifies the application of 400-level undergraduate courses to master’s degree programs. These needs may require courses not in the graduate offerings of the major but which are available at the undergraduate level.
To enroll in a 400-level course for graduate credit, the student must complete the proper instructional-justification form. The student and instructor must agree on the qualitative and quantitative differences in the course requirements to justify graduate credit. Qualitative differences show greater depth and breadth of study, and quantitative differences describe the increased amount of work necessary. Students must list specific differences and objectives clearly on the form in order to secure approval from the supervising faculty member and college dean. The student must return the form to the Office of Admissions prior to the first class day to complete enrollment.

The university does not permit this option for the purpose of meeting “leveling” or prerequisite requirements for a graduate degree. Students may apply no more than two courses that they complete in this manner toward fulfillment of graduate-degree requirements.
What is the difference between full-time, half-time, and less than half-time?
Every degree-seeking graduate student must be enrolled as a full-time, half-time, or less than half-time student each fall and spring term to maintain his or her status.
Graduate Fall/Spring            Minimum Hours
Full Time                                            9
Half Time                                           6
Less Than Half Time                            1
Graduate Summer                 Minimum Hours
Full Time                                            9
Half Time                                           5
Less Than Half Time                            1
How many credits can I take per semester?
To be considered full-time, a graduate student must be enrolled in a minimum of nine credit hours. The maximum hours allowed in the fall or spring is 18 hours and the maximum hours allowed in the summer in 12 hours.
I have taken a graduate level course in which I received a grade of C. Will this course count as completed on my degree plan?
Yes. The requirement for graduate students is to maintain a GPA of 3.0 on the degree plan. You may have grades of C on your graduate degree; however, it is the student's responsibility to maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

If you receive a grade of D or F, these will not be counted as a completed course on your degree plan but will be factored into your overall GPA. 

Academic Probation

What is the criteria on probation?
Graduate students are expected to maintain a Grade Point Average (GPA) equal to or better than 3.0 throughout the duration of their graduate study. This requirement applies to your institutional GPA, cumulative GPA, and degree GPA.

When a student's GPA falls below 3.0, the student is placed on probation by the university Notifications are made by letter to the student from the university. The student will then be allowed one semester to return the GPA back up to 3.0.
What happens after one semester on probation if my GPA is not back up to 3.0?
If after one semester on probation a student's GPA is not back up to 3.0, the student will be placed on Academic Suspension. This will last for a period of one year. At the completion of this time, the student may apply again to TAMUT for readmission to their graduate program.
My current GPA is around 3.0. Now I am taking a course that is not going well. Can I drop the course so that I will not fall into the category of probation?
Yes, you may drop your course if it is before the semester drop date.

If you are an International Student, please consult with the International Studies Office prior to dropping the course to ensure you will be maintaining legal status.

Academic Suspension

What is the criteria on suspension?
The suspension period will extend for 12 months from the end of the semester during which the student fell below acceptable standards for continued enrollment.  Early re-entry is possible only once with permission from the Provost and Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs. Only extenuating circumstances warrant such action. After the period of academic suspension has passed, the student may enroll again. The university will place the student on academic probation at re-entry, and he or she must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher. If the student falls below 3.00 during any semester, the university will suspend the student for another one-year period. The student may appeal the status of scholastic suspension through the Provost and Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs.

Note: The university imposes enrollment restrictions as a result of suspension or probation only at the end of the fall and spring terms.

Students on academic or disciplinary suspension (or “not in good standing”) from another institution are not eligible for admission to Texas A&M University-Texarkana until the suspension period has passed. If the student registers for classes by providing false information, he/she will be withdrawn from all classes without tuition or fee refund.  When the period of suspension has passed, the student may then apply for admission.
Before this time, the student may apply to the dean of the college by presenting a written statement from an appropriate representative of the institution, which issued the suspension. The statement must indicate that the institution would recommend early re-entry. The dean of the college will forward his or her recommendation for admission to the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research and Provost and Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs. In cases of disciplinary suspension, the Provost and Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs will appoint a committee to review the student’s application for admission. The Provost and Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs may then refuse admission based on their review of the case or the committee’s recommendation.
The university may refuse admission if it determines
the student would not abide by the rules and regulations of the university or would be unable to adjust to the university environment,
the student does not indicate a serious intent to pursue an education, or
the student might harm other members of the university community.
The university will review cases of expulsion (or suspension without time limit) on an individual basis. The Provost and Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs will handle appeals.
Who do I contact for parking permits or public transportation information?
You may purchase your parking pass with the Business Office at the front counter of the Building for Academic and Student Services (BASS) anytime Monday through Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM. Parking passes are $30 per academic year. You may contact the Business Office at 903.334.6601.
How do I apply for graduation?
All students are required to apply for their degree to receive their diploma. You may apply for graduation through your Web for Students account. 
Am I required to attend graduation?
Graduation ceremonies for all students are held in May for spring graduates and December for summer and fall graduates. Students are encouraged, but not required, to attend the university commencement ceremony.
Where can I buy regalia?
All graduates who participate in the ceremony must wear the appropriate commencement attire and are required to wear the TAMUT regalia for the degree they will be awarded. Your cap and gown may be purchased in the Eagle Central Bookstore online.
Will I receive my diploma at graduation?
No, students will receive their diploma during the following semester after they graduated. To receive your diploma, you must have applied for graduation on time, met all your degree requirements, and have cleared any financial obligations owed to the university.

Special Issues

Can I defer my admission?
You may defer your admission up to one year. Please email your Graduate Program, Administrative Coordinator to update your start date. You will need to contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine if you will need to reapply for Financial Aid. They can be contacted at FINAID@TAMUT.EDU or 903.334.6601.
I stopped taking classes in my program, but I would like to start again. What do I need to do?
You will need to reapply for admission. Please reapply by going to If you have any questions please contact your Graduate Program, Administrative Coordinator.
How long do I have to complete my degree?
Students are expected to complete all requirements for their master’s degree within five years. This date begins at the admission of the first semester of entry.

Prospective International Students FAQ

What are the requirements for language proficiency?
International applicants must be adequately proficient in English to pursue a course of study at the university. The following satisfy the university’s language proficiency requirement:

  • A minimum TOEFL score of 71 iBT, or
  • A minimum SAT Critical Reading (Verbal) score of 500 -testing prior to March 2016, or
  • A minimum SAT Reading Score of 27 - testing on or after March 1, 2016, or
  • A minimum ACT English score of 19, or
  • A minimum IELTS score of 6.0 overall band, or
  • A minimum score of 105, or
  • Must have completed Eng 1301 and Eng 1302 , at a U.S. institution, with a grade of “C” or better, or
  • Must have completed all four years in a high school within the U.S., or
  • Transferred in with at least 48 credit hours from an English speaking country or
  • Are a citizen of American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Federated States of Micronesia, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Trinidad/Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United Kingdom

Test scores must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the testing agency to be considered official.

Is financial aid available for international students?
Yes, the Global Heritage Scholarship at Texas A&M University-Texarkana celebrates cultural diversity and the expansion of global mindsets. International students are encouraged to apply for this scholarship. International recipients will receive some financial assistance and will have their non-resident statutory tuition replaced with the more affordable resident statutory tuition. Overall, this scholarship can save an international student up to $14,000 per academic year.
Fully admitted new degree-seeking international students with an incoming GPA of at least a 2.5 or a 980 SAT are eligible to apply.
How do I obtain an I-20 form?
In order to receive your I-20, you must complete a financial verification form that shows you have the financial resources to pay for your entire graduate program. You will submit your form and a copy of your passport to the Office of International Studies. The Office of International Studies will email you an I-20 after all documents are on file.

Prospective Student FAQ

If your question is not answered, please send us an email at

Before you apply

What are the requirements to apply?
Application requirements vary by program. To see what is required for your particular program of interest, visit our Graduate Programs page.
When is the deadline to apply?
The priority deadline to apply for admission is:

  • Fall admission- June 1
  • Spring Admission- October 1
  • Summer Admission- March 1

Applications received after the deadline date may be considered but admission to the program may not be approved until the following semester.
What Grade Point Average (GPA) is needed to be admitted?
Applicants must submit official transcripts that provide a cumulative grade point average (GPA) for all undergraduate and graduate work that is completed and/or in progress.
The minimum acceptable undergraduate (or graduate, where applicable) GPA is 2.5 on a 4.0 scale to be accepted into the graduate school.

Admission to each graduate program has their own individual GPA requirement for admission. Please consult your programs admission checklist for GPA requirement.
Can my credits from another college or university be transferred?
Texas A&M University-Texarkana allows a maximum of 12 sch of transfer credit. The transfer credits must be graduate school level and have a completed grade of B or higher. It will be up to the individual program to determine if your transfer credit will be allowed to count as part of your degree program.

What is the cost of the program?
Program cost is based on residency.
Residents of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, and Oklahoma will pay “In-State Tuition & Mandatory fees”
Residents of all other continental states will pay “Border State Tuition & Mandatory Fees”
Residents of Alaska, Hawaii, and other countries will be “Non-resident tuition & Mandatory fees”
You may use this link to view the Graduate Two-Year Tuition & Fee Schedule or the Doctoral Cohort Tuition & Fee Schedule. The columns on the far-right hand side will help with determining your estimated tuition and fees for each semester.
How do I review courses and course descriptions for my program?
Course descriptions are available on the university catalog in the section titled Course Descriptions.
Will my diploma show that I completed an online degree program?
Upon completion of all degree requirements, you will obtain a master’s degree but it will not state that you completed the program online as the curriculum requirements are the same as required for a student studying on campus.
Which degree is offered online?
The following degrees are offered fully online:

  • Master of Business Administration (MBA)
  • Master of Science in Accounting (MSA)
  • Master of Science in Instructional Technology
  • Master of Education in Education Leadership with Principal Certification
  • Principal Certification program
  • Superintendent Certification program
  • Master of Science in Curriculum and Instruction
What technology would I need to complete this program?
See our Technology Requirements page for details.
Which courses are offered online?
Courses offered online may vary each term. Course offerings for the current/upcoming term may be found on our Current Schedule page.

Applying to Graduate School

Is there an application fee?
Yes, the application fee is $30*.
*The application for the Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Science in Accounting have an application fee of $50.
Is the application fee refundable?
No, application fees are nonrefundable.
What are the requirements for letters of recommendation?
Most programs require three letters of recommendation. Letters should be submitted by those who can best speak to the applicant's past academic record and potential for future success as a graduate student. Ideally, at least some of these letters will be written by professors. Letters from employers and other relevant references are also acceptable.
We strongly encourage you to use the online system available as part of the online application to request letters of recommendation. Invitations are then sent to the recommenders, who can upload and submit their letters electronically.
What is a statement of purpose or letter of intent?
The statement of purpose, or letter of intent, that typically explains why the applicant is choosing to pursue a graduate education at A&M-Texarkana. The statement may include academic objectives, career plans, related qualifications (professional or academic) and any other substantial accomplishment or relevant information not already shared on the application.

Some programs may have a specific prompt or topic for the statement of purpose. Please refer to the checklist requirements for your individual graduate program application.
What should I include on my resume?
Your resume is a summary of the applicant’s personal, professional, and academic experiences and should be written with the specific graduate program in mind. The resume should also include the applicant’s interest and skills and be clearly and concisely defined.

A few areas to highlight would be:

  • Contact information (name, address, email, phone)
  • Academic objective and/or professional career objective
  • Educational background and degrees conferred
  • Relevant internships and employment history
  • Honors and achievements
  • Published articles
  • Research experience


Where do I request my transcripts be sent to?
All applicants must request their official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended regardless of whether a degree was awarded, or credits were transferred.
Alumni of Texas A&M University-Texarkana do not need to request their transcripts be sent. However, if any coursework was completed post-graduation from A&M-Texarkana, then those transcripts will need to be requested.

International student applicants must submit a course-by-course evaluation of their transcript using a credential evaluation service.

We recommend using:

Transcripts should be sent to Texas A&M University-Texarkana directly from the issuing institution.

USPS Mailing address:
Texas A&M University-Texarkana
Office of Admissions
7101 University Ave
Texarkana, TX 75503

Electronically to: 

Where should I send my supporting documents?
All supporting documents will be uploaded by you to your application. However, if you experience any technical difficulties, you may email your supporting documents to your Graduate Program, Admissions Coordinator and they will assist you.
How can I find out the status of my application materials?
You may log into your online application and view what items have been received and what items are needing to be submitted.
I have completed my application. When will I hear a decision?
Once your application is submitted, please expect to receive a decision about two weeks after the application deadline. Each program has their own review committee and the time frame for review may vary. Once an admissions decision is made, the Graduate School will send you a ??

Expect to receive a decision approximately six to eight weeks after the application deadline. Each program has its own review committee, and therefore the time frames for application reviews and decisions vary.
As soon as an admissions decision is made, the Graduate School will send you official notification.
I am graduating this semester with my undergraduate degree and would like to start my master’s degree in the following semester. When should I expect my admissions decision?
If you have not completed you bachelor’s degree, we cannot give an admission decision until you have graduated. Your bachelors degree will be awarded after graduation and this could take 2-3 weeks. Then, please expect additional time for an admission decision to be made. Each program has their own review committee and the time frame for review may vary. As soon as an admissions decision is made, the Graduate School will send you official notification.