Work Study

There are three types of work-study: Federal, State and Institutional. Federal and State work-study positions require a student to have financial need and the student must have completed a FAFSA® to be considered. This work-study is managed in Enrollment Services, within Financial Aid.

Institutional/University work-study is not based on financial need and is open to all students, regardless of whether or not you have completed a FAFSA®. It is managed in Career Services.

More information regarding the FAFSA® can be found on the student aid website.

Work Study FAQs

Common Questions asked in work study.

What is Federal/ State work-study?

Federal and State work-study provide part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal and State work-study:

  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • It’s available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with financial need.
  • It’s available to full-time or part-time students.

How do I apply for a job?

Students can apply for work-study positions on Hire an Eagle , the University’s online jobs database. You should create an account to view and apply for open position. If you have questions regarding Hire an Eagle, or to schedule an appointment for résumé reviews, mock interviews, and job fair preparation tips contact Career Services at 903-223-1366.

How do you know if a job requires Federal or State work-study and if you have been awarded federal or state work-study?

In the job description, the position will list that it requires Federal or State work study. You will know if you were awarded work-study, because it will be listed within your awarded financial aid (scholarships, grants, loans, work-study, etc.) in your Web for Students account. If you are unsure of your work-study status contact or  903-334-6601.

What kinds of jobs are there?

The work-study program emphasizes employment in civic education and work related to your course of study, whenever possible.

How much can I earn?

You’ll earn at least the current federal minimum wage. However, you may earn more depending on the type of work you do and the skills required for the position.

How will I be paid?

How you’re paid depends partly on whether you’re an undergraduate or graduate student. If you are an undergraduate student, you're paid by the hour. If you are a graduate or professional student, you're paid by the hour or by salary, depending on the work you do.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No. The amount you earn can’t exceed your total Federal or State work-study award. When assigning work hours, your supervisor will consider your class schedule and your academic progress. Students can not work during scheduled class hours, unless they provide documentation from the instructor that a given class was canceled. Students can work a maximum of 19 hours per week.

There is a requirement for a “FWS Permit or TCWS Permit” listed on your financial-aid requirements in Web for Students, how do you satisfy it?

This requirement is for a work-permit. It will be satisfied when a student is hired for a position and completes it. The requirement doesn’t affect disbursing other funds (loans, grants, scholarships) and simply serves as a reminder that it needs to be completed before a student can begin working.

You weren’t awarded work-study, now what?

If you weren’t awarded Federal or State work-study, you can contact the financial aid office (Email or 903-334-6601) so that your name can be added to the waiting list, if possible. To improve your chances of receiving work-study the following year, complete your FAFSA® as early as possible. Federal/State work-study funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. More than likely, you will need to have completed your FAFSA® in advance of the University priority deadlines. Remember, you can still apply for jobs online that are institutional work-study.

More information regarding work-study can be found on the student aid website.