General Student Information

General Student Information

Administrative Drop Policy

Beginning with the first class day of the semester, faculty should report to the Registrar’s Office via the preliminary class roster and/or email communication, by a date established by the Registrar’s Office, any student who is not attending their class or who has not logged into Canvas for an online class.

An administrative drop will be initiated by the Registrar’s Office for any student who has not been in attendance in face to face classes or has not reported in web or web enhanced classes by the due date of the preliminary class roster as established by the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar’s Office will notify students by certified mail and/or email that an administrative drop has been initiated and they should contact their instructor immediately. If the instructor does not rescind the request in writing within seven (7) days of documentable receipt of the notification, the Registrar’s Office will drop the student from the class.  Faculty who fail to submit an administrative drop by the established deadline, must record the grade earned by the student at the end of the semester.  Faculty submitting a grade of F for a student will be required to enter the last date of attendance during the grading cycle.  Subsequent to the census date final roster, all drops during the semester must be student initiated.

More Drop or Withdraw information

Limitation on Dropping Courses

Under section 51.907 of the Texas Education Code, "an institution of higher education may not permit a student to drop more than six courses, including any course a transfer student has dropped at another institution of higher education." This statue was enacted by the State of Texas in spring 2007 and applied to students who enroll in a public institution of higher education as first-time freshmen in fall 2007 or later.

Any course that a student drops is counted toward the six-drop limit if:

  • the student was able to drop the course without receiving a grade or incurring an academic penalty
  • the student's transcript indicates or will indicate that the student was enrolled in the course (recorded drop)
  • the student is not dropping the course in order to withdraw from the institution. 

"Some exemptions for good cause could allow a student to drop a course without having it counted toward this limit, but it is the responsibility of the student to establish that good cause.

More Drop or Withdraw information

Repeated Courses

Students who attempt a course three or more times at A&M-Texarkana since Fall 2002 will be charged an additional $50.00 per credit hour for the repeated course. The bill you receive after you register may not accurately reflect the additional tuition and fees for the courses attempted three or more times. A&M-Texarkana reserves the right to adjust the student's tuition as a result of registering for the third or more time.

The following courses are exempt from this rule:

  1. Thesis or dissertation courses
  2. Courses that may be repeated for credit because they involve different or more advanced content each time the course is taken
  3. Independent Study courses
  4. Special Topics and Seminar courses
  5. Continuing education courses that must be repeated to retain professional certification

Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule (Limitation on in-state tuition rates for some undergraduates)- Excessive Hours:

Senate Bill 345 passed in the 76th Legislative session, allows a higher education institution to charge a resident undergraduate student tuition at a higher rate than that charged to other resident undergraduate students, not to exceed the rate charged to nonresident undergraduate students, for students that have exceeded a certain number of semester credit hours of funded college work and who have not earned an undergraduate degree.

  • Students who are enrolled in any institution of higher education while classified as a resident student for tuition purposes BEFORE Fall 1999 are EXEMPT from this rule.
  • Students who were enrolled in any institution of higher education while classified as a resident student for tuition purposes between Fall 1999 and Summer 2006 cannot attempt 45 credit hours beyond the hours required to complete their degree.
  • Students who were enrolled in any institution of higher education while classified as a resident student for tuition purposes between Fall 2006 and thereafter cannot attempt 30 credit hours beyond the hours required to complete their degree.

Academic Records Appeal

An Academic Records Appeal is a request from a student (enrolled or non-enrolled) to change a part of their academic records at Texas A&M University-Texarkana as a result of an extenuating circumstance.  

This could be an appeal to have a class removed permanently from the academic record, a class to be dropped or a semester of classes to be withdrawn after the semester is completed, a refund of tuition/fees for a specific semester, or any other changes to a student’s academic record.

More about Academic Record Appeals

Semester Grades

Semester grades are posted to Web for Students at the end of the term. They are NOT mailed. Students should log on to Web for Students to obtain grades (instructions are listed above). If you have any questions, please contact the Registrar's Office at (903)334-6601.

Change of Major

A student’s curriculum consists of the degree, major, minor, or concentration they are seeking. Students may change their major/minor/concentration with approval from their academic advisor and/or academic deans. Students select the degree and major they want to pursue when they apply for admission to the university; any changes to these require permission once the student is enrolled with A&M-Texarkana.

How to Change, Add, or Drop a Curriculum

  1. Student completes a Change of Major form
  2. Student obtains required signatures for any curriculum for which they are changing.
  3. Student submits the completed Change of Major form to the Registrar's Office. 

Undergraduate Change of Major Form

Graduate (Masters and Doctoral) Change of Major Form